A Brief History of the Wiesbaden
The hot springs of the Wiesbaden have been flowing from the San Juan Mountains for thousands of years. They range in temperature from 85 to 134 degrees fahrenheit.
The Ute Indians who settled here and other tribes who traveled for days to reach the healing waters considered them sacred and deemed them "Miracle Waters" because of their curative powers. Still, today, the Wiesbaden springs are used for ceremonial purposes.
The original structure of the Wiesbaden was built in 1879 and known as Mother Buchanan's Bath House. Several decades of colorful history followed. In the 1920's, Dr. C.V. Bates, MD, built the Bates Hospital and Sanitarium over the hot springs and enlarged the caves, which were known far and wide for their beneficial treatment of arthritis.
Over the past 50 years, the Wiesbaden has evolved into a small, personable spa frequented by people from around the world. A combination of minerals in the natural hot spring water and a massage in our spa is relaxing and enjoyable as well therapeutic.
Linda Wright-Minter has been the owner of the Wiesbaden since 1978. She spent the last 40 years not only managing and living on the property but interacting daily with the guests. Linda's warm spirit and bright smile is known across the small town. She currently resides in Littleton, Colorado to be closer to her family.